The Blog of Justice

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Inter-office awkwardness

Expanding on what is turning into a small dissertation on awkwardness in the work-place, my days are getting seemingly increasingly populated by intense feelings of wishing I was out of the room.

This feeling is always amplified by the other person or people in the room. Whatever situation I seem to be in, these people seem intent on making the situation even more awkward if possible.

Allow me to explain further:

I work for a small company in an office building that contains many other companies. It is becoming my firm belief that these people are recruited specifically because of their lack of personal social skills.

A chap I work with took some cups downstairs to the communal kitchen area to wash up, and accidently dropped one onto a tile floor. Of course, it was absolutely obliterated, and my colleague found himself in a room with one smashed cup and one other occupant.

In situations like this, I would have done exactly what my colleague did, and acknowledge the other person's presence, as it is unavoidable that you will be in this room for some small time to pick up the pieces, and had may as well make some sort of personal contact to shield the embarassment.

My colleague turned to occupant 2, and rolled his eyes emphatically with a tut and a sigh in a typical British way that emphasises our timid and easily embarassed nature.

Occupant 2 merely stared at my colleague with a frown, and then glared back down at his Metro newspaper as though my colleague had just exposed himself in an entirely inappropriate manner.

Some people, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home