The Blog of Justice

Monday, August 11, 2008

Roger Gregory

My Mum had me at the early age of eighteen and relied heavily on my grandparents to help her to bring me into the world in tough circumstances. Her relationship with her parents has always been very close, and they have never lived more than twenty miles apart, with us all seeing each other several times a week for the last twenty-five years of my life.

I consider my Nan and my Grandad my best friends who would do anything for me, as I would do anything for them. They've taken care of me as though they were my parents, and have never questioned any of my decisions in life, only supported me throughout it all.

Each Sunday we get together for a family meal, and my Uncle, Aunt, two cousins, my two sisters, my Mum, my Step Dad, my Nan and my Grandad are all regularly there. I can't describe how close I am to these people, and how I can't imagine my life without their support.

With this in mind, I was devastated when my Grandad passed away on Sunday morning, 10th August, aged sixty-nine. He died after a very short battle with pancreatic cancer, the acceleration of his decline in health the likes of which I've never seen before.

Even in the hospital he won the affections of several doctors and nurses due to his quiet calming demenour and his kind and thoughtful nature. His unmistakeable sense of humour and his sparkling personality were alive until the very end, and he swore he would fight his illness despite impossible circumstances.

He taught me responsibility, how to conduct myself with dignity, and to care for those who also care for you. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank him for his advice, his love, and his unending support throughout my early years. He will never be forgotten.

Thank you for everything Grandad.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear it Karl. My condolences to you and your family.

    By Blogger jd, at 8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home