Casualties of Metro-war
On my (much discussed) walk to work, I pass several people who hand out Metros.
Metros are free newspapers handed out to commuters on their way to work, and they're a good read. Full of good news and sport.
Upon first starting my job in the big city, I thought these things were brilliant. A quality free newspaper handed to me on my way to work. What could possibly go wrong?
I now have no time to read these things. I get into work, and by the time I've written one of these blogs, read some forums and scratched my ass, it's time to start work.
All that's happening to these things is that they're going straight into the recycling box.
When I realised this was happening, I made a decision. This decision was that I would no longer receive the Metro.
The thing is, the guy I get the Metro from is incredibly used to handing me these things, and now expects me to take one. Let it be said that saying no to these people is like kicking them in the face. The expression on their face resembles that of a kitten if you poke it in the eye.
So, out of guilt, I accept the thing and don't read it.
Am I really doing something wrong?
Allow me to hypothesise.
It's their job to dispense newspapers, and dispense they shall. I would hazard a guess that they can't return to the depot to clock out / sign out unless they've gotten rid of their papers, or they've been out for a pre-set amount of time.
Perhaps the next person to accept a newspaper is going to glance at it and leave it in the toilet (as one chap in my building ever so helpfully does). Maybe it'll then get picked up at the end of the day by the cleaner and put into the bin.
At least if I accept one, I'm going to put it in the recycling bin after glancing at the headline. It'll get used again.
I'm doing good.
Yes. Good.
Metros are free newspapers handed out to commuters on their way to work, and they're a good read. Full of good news and sport.
Upon first starting my job in the big city, I thought these things were brilliant. A quality free newspaper handed to me on my way to work. What could possibly go wrong?
I now have no time to read these things. I get into work, and by the time I've written one of these blogs, read some forums and scratched my ass, it's time to start work.
All that's happening to these things is that they're going straight into the recycling box.
When I realised this was happening, I made a decision. This decision was that I would no longer receive the Metro.
The thing is, the guy I get the Metro from is incredibly used to handing me these things, and now expects me to take one. Let it be said that saying no to these people is like kicking them in the face. The expression on their face resembles that of a kitten if you poke it in the eye.
So, out of guilt, I accept the thing and don't read it.
Am I really doing something wrong?
Allow me to hypothesise.
It's their job to dispense newspapers, and dispense they shall. I would hazard a guess that they can't return to the depot to clock out / sign out unless they've gotten rid of their papers, or they've been out for a pre-set amount of time.
Perhaps the next person to accept a newspaper is going to glance at it and leave it in the toilet (as one chap in my building ever so helpfully does). Maybe it'll then get picked up at the end of the day by the cleaner and put into the bin.
At least if I accept one, I'm going to put it in the recycling bin after glancing at the headline. It'll get used again.
I'm doing good.
Yes. Good.


1 Comments:
Maybe they secretly work on commission?
You never know! They might be part of the anti-recycling brigade....if such a thing exists.
By
jen/haly, at 3:43 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home