The Blog of Justice

Monday, June 11, 2007

Running in the Summer

On my travels, I've noticed a distinct increase in the number of people who've now taken up running.

You know that they've just taken it up because they can barely put one foot in front of the other, their breathing is everywhere, their technique is non-existent, and they're probably doing themselves more harm than good.

The question is, why are they picking the warmest time of the year to pick it up?

Yes, it feels nice when you step out of the house and it's nice and warm, but as soon as you're round the corner, you're battling pollen (if you have hayfever), and what will feel like a searing heat.

When I started running, I started in the Autumn.
As the seasons passed, I enjoyed running in the cold and rain because I didn't feel any of it anyway when I was on my way and had set myself a pace to stick to. Your body warms up to suit to the conditions, and it's much easier to deal with.

For the past few years, I've actually packed up my running during the Summer because I didn't want to die. I'm going to try and keep it gently ticking over this year to see how I get on, but if you're a beginner, for god's sake hang on a few months unless you're training for a race, in which case you're probably mental to be running in August.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home