Pet hates - A spiralling obsession
I've spoken about my workplace's communal kitchen before, but for the benefit of those who haven't read previous blogs, it's usually a bit of a state and in a constant state of disrepair. This is usually down to the mutant tramps who use it.
Instant coffee is strewn over sides, the bin is open and festering with yesterday's lunch, and flies are not uncommon.
What really gets to me however, is the way people handle their teaspoons.
There is a constant shortage of metal teaspoons in our kitchen. This is down to the way that they are misused. Bare in mind here, unless you want to stir your coffee with a fork, there is no alternative.
Here's my spoon-handling routine when making a drink. See if you can spot the points vital to kitchen preservation.
Because the majority of office staff ignore those basic rules that amount to about 8 seconds of their 46 second routine, teaspoons are left in often precarious situations.
One such situation commonly seen is when a spoon is left in our sink, sometimes covered with some filthy scum's hair. It's not going to get used again.
Sometimes it's dumped into a substance that resembles milky coffee, but nobody really wants to take the chance and expose their skin to it in the process of spoon-retrieval.
Why not rinse the sodding thing off? Would you do it at home?
Maybe they do. Maybe it's part of their ritual. Maybe they're the polar opposite of obsessive compulsives, who insist on using a spoon only once before ensuring that it will never be used again.
Maybe they're just untrained filthy gits. You probably know them as a species about as much as I do, so I'll leave the choice up to you.
Instant coffee is strewn over sides, the bin is open and festering with yesterday's lunch, and flies are not uncommon.
What really gets to me however, is the way people handle their teaspoons.
There is a constant shortage of metal teaspoons in our kitchen. This is down to the way that they are misused. Bare in mind here, unless you want to stir your coffee with a fork, there is no alternative.
Here's my spoon-handling routine when making a drink. See if you can spot the points vital to kitchen preservation.
- Grab a spoon (Sometimes not always possible)
- Make drink using said spoon
- Rinse spoon under a tap
- Dry spoon using tea-towel
- Place spoon back in drawer
Because the majority of office staff ignore those basic rules that amount to about 8 seconds of their 46 second routine, teaspoons are left in often precarious situations.
One such situation commonly seen is when a spoon is left in our sink, sometimes covered with some filthy scum's hair. It's not going to get used again.
Sometimes it's dumped into a substance that resembles milky coffee, but nobody really wants to take the chance and expose their skin to it in the process of spoon-retrieval.
Why not rinse the sodding thing off? Would you do it at home?
Maybe they do. Maybe it's part of their ritual. Maybe they're the polar opposite of obsessive compulsives, who insist on using a spoon only once before ensuring that it will never be used again.
Maybe they're just untrained filthy gits. You probably know them as a species about as much as I do, so I'll leave the choice up to you.
Labels: compulsive, dirty, fith, hair, sink, spoon, tea, teaspoon

2 Comments:
The solution to your spoon problem, I might comment, is simple to buy a fuck load of teaspoons.
We've around 20-30 people in this office now and we probably have at least twice that in tea spoons.
What's worse is that we now have a dishwasher. I often empty the thing when I arrive in the morning and to discourage the filthy buggers from either lobbing spoons on the sink in to similar mess to what you describe, or from just leaving them on the side, I now put the cutlery rack from the washer on the draining board for them to populate. But STILL they get left at both afore mentioned locations.
I think the only conclusion is that people are just filthy scum.
By
Mr Dom, at 3:31 pm
I work with Dom and the situation extends far beyond the teaspoon saga in our office....we have a dishwasher but people find that bending over that extra 45 degrees is just way to much to put there plate, cup, bowl etc in the damn thing. Instead we get a build up of scummy, dirty and grostesque cutlery and china wear in the sink and therefore people then begin to lob there teaspoons etc on top. It gets worse.....for those extra lazy people they just leave there dirty goods on the side...so when I come to make my lunch I am then greeted by a coffee, milk, tea, juice, herbal tea, crumbs, sauces, butter kind of slush across the worktop.......its digusting I hate it and I think I work with the biggest bunch of slobs ever! (Except Dom obviously)!!!
By
Anonymous, at 4:15 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home