Developing tastes
When I was around four, I tried a sip of coffee.
It tasted incredibly bad.
Maybe it was because the coffee was rubbish, or maybe it was because I hadn't developed a taste for what could be considered a strong and aquirable flavour.
Now at the tender age of twenty-three, I really enjoy coffee. I wouldn't say it has been an easy journey, and it has taken hard work and dedicated drinking to develop a bit of a taste for it without aquiring an addiction to its proprties or the routine of consumption itself.
The latest food stuff to approach my palate is an olive.
I tried one, and I really couldn't stand it. It was salty, and I couldn't pick out why anybody would find it even remotely tasty.
However, my steadfast attitude faultered one day when at a family gathering. I tried a few olives from a table that guests were grazing on, and found that they tasted remarkably enjoyable. Quite different from the poor quality olives I had tried in the past, these weren't too bad. I decided that green were better than black. In Sainsbury I noticed that there were several different types of olives on the delicatessen all looking appetising and with various garnishes and dressings.
I now love olives. Queen olives with chilli. Kick-ass.
Let this be a lesson to you. Start eating olives if you don't like them, but spend lots of money on them so you get the good ones. The ones on pizzas don't cut the mustard. They're the new coffee!
It tasted incredibly bad.
Maybe it was because the coffee was rubbish, or maybe it was because I hadn't developed a taste for what could be considered a strong and aquirable flavour.
Now at the tender age of twenty-three, I really enjoy coffee. I wouldn't say it has been an easy journey, and it has taken hard work and dedicated drinking to develop a bit of a taste for it without aquiring an addiction to its proprties or the routine of consumption itself.
The latest food stuff to approach my palate is an olive.
I tried one, and I really couldn't stand it. It was salty, and I couldn't pick out why anybody would find it even remotely tasty.
However, my steadfast attitude faultered one day when at a family gathering. I tried a few olives from a table that guests were grazing on, and found that they tasted remarkably enjoyable. Quite different from the poor quality olives I had tried in the past, these weren't too bad. I decided that green were better than black. In Sainsbury I noticed that there were several different types of olives on the delicatessen all looking appetising and with various garnishes and dressings.
I now love olives. Queen olives with chilli. Kick-ass.
Let this be a lesson to you. Start eating olives if you don't like them, but spend lots of money on them so you get the good ones. The ones on pizzas don't cut the mustard. They're the new coffee!
Labels: coffee, developing, olives, tastes


1 Comments:
I totally agree that olive require a more mature palate. I hated them when I was a kid - but now - yum. But, only as you say, the good ones. Never those in a jar.
By
Anonymous, at 5:39 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home